Author Topic: 42 ain't the answer  (Read 1959 times)

Kerry

• Administrator
42 ain't the answer
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:51:01 AM »
42 ain’t the answer, at least not for teachers

In The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Deep Thought, the ultimate, all-knowing computer, is asked, “What’s the answer to life, the universe, and everything?” Deep Thought replies somberly that the answer is 42.

As a relationship communication-skills coach I’ve tried 42 and it doesn’t work. It doesn’t produce the results I say I want for myself and everyone else.  I notice that legislators and teachers also keep trying to make 42 work. 42 here refers to the communication model our "all-knowing" university professors use to teach education majors to communicate subject matter; the actual name of the model is the Adversarial Communication Model.

The Adversarial Communication Model is easily identified because its users are addicted to arguing, blaming and bad-mouthing, to winning at the expense of others, to withholding significant thoughts from most everyone, and to abusing and to being abused—evidenced by the typical verbally violent abusive divorces. Significantly, the Adversarial Communication Model doesn't teach the subject of acknowledgment—financially bringing our mentors (teachers) along with us—this ignorance continues to affect everyone's prosperity.

Every few years, during contract-salary negotiations time, teachers try again to communicate with legislators—pathetically begging for raises, school supplies, and maintenance funds; they do this using the same communication model they learned through the curriculum for education majors. It’s the same way of communicating that's been causing (yes causing) 25% of the nation’s college freshman to require remedial comprehension and composition classes so as to learn what their K-12 teachers failed to communicate. Interestingly, the Adversarial Communication Model seems to produce about 25% less than what teachers ask for during negotiations.

Note 1: All principals graduate students whom they know can't compute the best deal in a grocery store, balance a check book, or explain how their county or the federal government works; virtually none can explain the pros and cons of various diets. The costs for this perpetration by both teachers and principals—all compromising their integrity (for reasons)—is more of the same results.

Note 2: I'm unaware of any college/university that requires education majors to complete a Leadership Training Program (classes, courses, seminars, workshops, forums, yes—Leadership Training—no). A Leadership Training Program for Educators would require attending one three-hour class per week each semester for all four years. Approximately 1/3 would change their major because such a training requires one to honor all agreements and a willingness to address one's addictions, to withholding, to blaming, and to arguing; the training requires impeccable integrity (zero significant withholds in ones significant relationships). A teacher must have a supportive loving relationship with both parents (and both in-laws if any).

Supplemental thoughts:

The Homework Story

Imitation of Communication

Communication Models

The Teacher's Pay Conversation Project

Last edited 1/15/23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal