Author Topic: Considerations about food  (Read 3907 times)

Kerry

• Administrator
Considerations about food
« on: April 25, 2011, 02:44:06 AM »
Survival food:

No doubt, growing up in orphanages with farms has affected my thinking about food and survival. Whenever I drive past a beautifully mowed lawn with flowers and expensive shrubbery and nary one edible I can't help but wonder where these responsible citizens will be getting their food if/when the economy fails.

What must these ornamental-shrubbery-loving neighbors be thinking? "H'm, I should grow some edibles just in case. Nah. If something bad happens I'll just start growing veggies ‘n fruits.” or worse, "I'll just forage other's crops.”*

What most homeowners don't realize is that when starting from near-scratch (on a typical ¼ acre lot) it takes several months to grow enough food (not to mention edible animals) to sustain just two people. Few think to keep viable vegetable seeds in the refrigerator. Fewer still realize that once people are forced to start their own "Survival Food Garden” all the tools, seeds, fishing tackle, fertilizer, and farm animals will be bought up; perhaps the last gasoline wasted on an unproductive shopping/foraging trip.

It's pretty easy to envision what will happen throughout the mainland’s cities and suburbs when transportation and communication breaks down; what's uncomfortable to acknowledge is that the same will happen here in the islands. Foragers will make the rounds of those who have gardens. They will ostensibly ask for handouts but in truth one knows that the “asking” question will contain subtle mixed messages including pathetic begging and an implied make-wrong if they don't get food. The chances of upset and name-calling are likely.

You the reader now have the opportunity to start preparing else you most likely will be pathetically begging/stealing however, you'll no longer be able to say you didn't know or that no one told you.

Question #1 In the event of an economic collapse with thousands of foragers and many thieves, will a homeowner have the right to post a sign, “Trespassers will be shot. No questions asked?” Your answer most likely depends upon whether you are prepared. The word “right” is moot because few public servants or leaders have sustainable home gardens—no official vote will be required; we know they know and understand.

Question #2 Mothers and wives, in the event of an economic collapse, do you think you'll send your spouse or child out to forage (steal) so that your family can survive at the expense of another(s)? Your answer now might determine the outcome. If you know you would never steal then perhaps your karma is such that you'll have no need to steal. On the other hand, if your ethics are such that you know you would steal, then you must be totally willing to not have anyone return from foraging or, have them return with food but silent, knowing something terrible happened to another’s family.

* The premise—if today one reserves the option to steal in the future then that premeditated option has a karmic effect on today's outcomes and the future's outcomes. Put another way, if your relationships and prosperity are not working well, we can't dismiss the possibility that it has something to do with your philosophy, your integrity, your premeditated options. Karma played forward?  (read The Water Pump Story).

Kerry

FYI: Approximately 10% of Hawaii residents have registered guns. It's unknown how many have unregistered guns, however, there's an estimated one million guns in Hawaii. Hawaii has the lowest gun death rate in the country.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal