Hawaii Island VOG status (SO2)

xx Hawaii Island VOG status (SO2)
July 15, 2008, 03:01:40 PM by Kerry
Here are two links that graphically depict the VOG (SO2) and it's direction.
(Both links work as of 7/28/21 — K.K.)

http://satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/OMI/OMISO2/hawaii.html  Updated daily by NOAA satelite.

Hawai'i (Big Isle) Short Term SO2 Alert Index Updated hourly throughout the day.

Email reply from Gilberto Vicente, NOAA - OMISO2: responding to my email reporting that the NOAA satellite had not been displaying for several days in row.

Hi Kerry,

The OMI is in a polar orbit, and only viewed the same place on Earth once a day, during day light time.

The current image in the NOAA web site shows the last swath over Hawaii on July 9, year 08, Julian date 191 and UTC time 20:54. This actual pass over Hawaii happens a little later because this is the time of the first scan line of that swath.

It is + or - 1 hour around that time because the Aura satellite (the one that houses the OMI instrument) precesses each day. Look at the different times in "current", and "previous" images.

Gilberto

UPDATE 3/17/09

Kerry,

Please update your link to

http://satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/OMI/OMISO2/index.html

Gilberto

Kerry wrote:
Hi Gilbert,

I assume you folks know that our NOAA satellite report has not been displaying lately, for more than a week.

I use http://gp16.ssd.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/OMI/OMISO2/hawaii.html#End daily to determine if the SO2 is going to be blowing in my direction.

It's been stuck just displaying a small map with no data. I believe the problem began 3/3/09 when it kept displaying the same report for a few days in a row.

With aloha,

Kerry

--
Gilberto A. Vicente - Ph.D. - Physical Scientist
NOAA/NESDIS/OSDPD/SSD - Product Implementation Branch
E/SP2, NOAA Science Center, Room 510
5200 Auth Road, Camp Springs, MD 20746, USA
Phone: 301-763-8142 x 160, Fax: 301-899-9196, Gilberto.Vicente@noaa.gov

Bookmark this page.

Kerry

PS. Post a reply here for information/advice about residential air purifiers w/HEPA and charcoal filters.

Write a Comment:

Sorry, you must be logged in to post a comment!

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

Comments:

1 [2]
xx Re: Hawaii Island VOG status (SO2) (Reply 11)
September 16, 2008, 11:21:25 AM by RENITA
Big Island residents fear for their health, their pets and farm animals, their water systems, their farm crops, and businesses. Yet, the various state agencies are ineffective in providing up-to-date information or any meaningful assistance. Here are the main areas in which residents need help. The Department of Health has issued a color code of various levels of SO2, but the community is unaware of where these monitoring stations are located in proximity to their homes.When SO2 reaches a dangerous level. Many rural areas of the Big Island are without cell phone coverage.
-------------------
RENITA

1 [2]