Author Topic: Borders’ reading policy supports sneakiness and bad karma for everyone  (Read 8778 times)

Kerry

• Administrator
Borders’ reading policy supports sneakiness and bad karma for everyone.

Reading this topic may generate/trigger upset. It is educational—in support of communication mastery. Post upsets/comments.

Borders' bookstores have the following implied reading policy:
    It's OK to select books and magazines (library style) and sit on one of the cushioned reading chairs provided, or at a table while snacking at the coffee bar, and read for free.
One problem with the policy is that it's not communicated up front, clearly, cleanly, in writing, for all patrons to see; it is in fact implemented sneakily by the patrons and begrudgingly, contemptuously tolerated by the staff of Borders and book authors.

Another problem with the policy is that when Borders returns damaged, wrinkled, bent, torn, stained, reading material to the distributor the authors lose income. Distributors deduct such losses from an author's profits each month.

An even greater problem is that the policy generates undesirable consequences ("bad" karma) for Borders, its employees, its distributors, the authors, and the community; it doesn't support respect. It does not serve anyone. Ultimately it is detrimental to the financial success of Borders and its sneaky patrons (those who thwart the financial prosperity of the authors).

It's easy to understand why Borders allows free reading. What's not so obvious is that they've always had three options:
    One option is that the staff could patrol the aisles as browsing-time-monitors risking a customer's anger when they are reminded, like kids reading comic books in a supermarket, that they have been reading too long. The problem with this option is that managers know that sometimes customers simply dramatize their upset and embarrassment by never returning.

Another option is to begrudgingly allow reading and return materials that are no longer in pristine condition, hopefully encouraging potential sales. This option supports customer sneakiness and rips off authors.

A third option is to post signs throughout their stores, "It’s OK to read material."
With this third option Borders would not be supporting (rewarding-condoning) sneaky thwarting behaviors of its community members so as to survive financially. This modification of the present implied reading policy would be acceptable to authors providing (big if here) Borders did not return damaged materials. Authors would get paid per volume regardless of a store's reading policy.

It’s understood that authors would not choose to allow bookstore patrons to read their material without compensation.

As you continue reading this post you'll see that Borders' present policy, of supporting theft of an author's labors, can't work. The policy rewards the  sneakiness of its community members of which Borders belongs and ostensibly supports. Authors have come to accept that the cost for having Borders distribute their books is that they lose money each time Borders returns a customer-damaged book to the distributor. Authors have no say in the matter other than to not publish; instead they compromise their integrity and submit to this unethical practice, for which there is also an unseen undesirable consequence.

Reading this topic may generate upset. It is  educational, in support of communication mastery. Post upsets/comments by pressing the REPLY button (free registration required).

More about this topic: —continued

Kerry

• Administrator
Re: Borders’ reading policy supports sneakiness and bad karma for everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:49:17 AM »
Update:

Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:22:27 PM
To: ccare@bordersstores.com
Subject: Feedback on reading policy

Please forward these links to your CEO.

http://www.bigislandforum.org/forums/index.php?topic=76.0
http://www.comcom121.org/ethics.htm

Aloha,

Kerrith H. (Kerry) King
Communication-Skills Coach

Jahiro
Borders Customer Care wrote:

Dear Kerry,

Thank you for contacting Borders Customer Care with your comments.

Feedback from valued customers like you is essential to us as it allows us to keep in touch with areas where we can improve our services. Your suggestion will be included in our regular reporting
to our various departments and in information presented to the executives at Borders. While I cannot guarantee that a change will be made, we appreciate your sending us your ideas.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us. If you should have any other thoughts on how we can improve the shopping experience at Borders stores, please don't hesitate to share these with us.

Sincerely,

Jahiro
Borders Customer Care
http://www.borders.com

Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 3:48:12 PM
Subject: Re: Feedback on reading policy

Hi Jahiro,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I could be wrong but your reply looks like a typical boiler plate "Pre-written Reply" rather than acknowledging my specific feedback and request—you made no mention of my request for you to forward my feedback to your CEO. It's a given that sometimes "various" department supervisors hide certain feedback from the CEO.

Please assure me that my feedback (see links below) will be forwarded to your CEO. It is important because the web sites mentioned could be read by many people nationwide. The forum post predicts the failure of Borders if the policy is not changed; it's one of those forks in the road communications. I'm certain the topic has been brought up before by many Borders' employees and they have been ignored.

I do understand it's possible that you don't have email access to your CEO ---if so, please let me know.

http://www.bigislandforum.org/forums/index.php?topic=76.0
http://www.comcom121.org/ethics.htm

Kerry

Kerrith H. (Kerry) King
Communication-Skills Coach

Margaret
Borders Rewards Customer Care wrote:

Dear Kerry,

Thank you for contacting us about Borders Rewards.

I'm sorry but we cannot e-mail the CEO of Borders.

If you have any other questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Margaret
Borders Rewards Customer Care
www.borders.com

Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 3:48:12 PM
Subject: Re: Feedback on reading policy

Hi Margaret,

I'm confused by your first sentence, "Thank you for contacting us about Borders Rewards." Nowhere have I mentioned any concern about "Borders Rewards."

Re: "I'm sorry but we cannot e-mail the CEO of Borders." I got it. I've posted our communications on the Big Island Forum perhaps your CEO will see it there.

With aloha,

Kerry

Note: Notice that Margaret apparently did not read my emails "Thank you for contacting us about Borders Rewards." It's not by accident that she is covertly, unconsciously, thwarting her CEO with inaccurate replies. It's interesting and significant that Margaret ostensibly has no means to relay feedback/emails to her CEO.

Kerry

• Administrator
Re: Borders’ reading policy supports sneakiness and bad karma for everyone
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »
Update: On July 22, 2011 Borders announced it was going out of business.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal