Author Topic: Reading comprehension barriers?  (Read 10108 times)

Kerry

• Administrator
Reading comprehension barriers?
« on: December 15, 2006, 05:17:27 PM »
Reading comprehension barriers?

The foremost barrier to comprehending what you have just read is that you have thoughts floating around in your mind occupying space, taking up room, getting in the way of getting and understanding. In communication jargon these thoughts are called incompletes. Incompletes serve as barriers to you being here now. The same goes for remembering when taking a test.

You’ll notice thoughts are there even when you’re in a conversation with another; the other person is talking and your mind is rampant with thoughts, formulating what you are going to say next even before they have completed what they are saying. You’ll notice that your your mind is judging and evaluating them, and, stuffing many thoughts. You’re thinking, “What a jerk” but not communicating it verbally, only non verbally.

What are some of these incompletes?
  • You lied to your mother and told her you did your homework.
  • You told someone you’d return their book and you haven’t.
  • You badmouthed someone behind his or her back.
  • You yelled rudely or sassed (was abusive) to your father.
  • Your father yelled at you, treated you rudely, insulted you, said abusive things to you (or your mother) and he has yet to acknowledge (clean it up) that he knows he did it (each yelling/abusive communication/incident must be cleaned up for you to experience being complete with your parents).
  • You have stolen something and have justified it and have managed to keep the incident in the back of your mind but you know it’s still bothering you.
However, most of the barriers to getting another’s communication, an author’s communication to you, a teacher’s instructions/explanations, are all the conversations you’ve had, that were not mutually satisfying. These incidents cloud your mind.

For example: If when you were ten your mother asked, “Did you brush your teeth?” and you lied and said yes, and, here’s the important part, you have never acknowledged to her or anyone, that you lied, then that thought, that incomplete, that less-than-mutually-satisfying-communication (you didn’t feel good about yourself afterwards) is still rattling around in your mind occupying space. It’s called being out integrity. Most adults have yet to be acknowledged for their very first lie. They honestly, arrogantly, think they got away with it. They are totally unaware that that lie is still effecting outcomes (it’s still having consequences) to this very day; they are ignorant of the fact that you have had no choice other than to mirror their integrity. An honest person, (a person in-integrity) can look at them and tell that they are not totally honest, not quite a totally trustworthy person. It’s an aura kind of thing. A person of integrity is a safe space to tell the truth to. One finds themselves communicating openly and honestly and spontaneously, zero thoughts withheld in the presence of a person of integrity.

Continuing with the tooth brushing lie example: Virtually all adults lie several times each day, including teachers. Most lie so much that they have become used to it. Most often they can’t hear themselves lie the “small” “white” unconscious lies. What’s interesting is that teens can hear their lies. Lies such as: “I’ll pick you up at 5:00” “I’ll be with you in a minute,” “If you don’t stop, I’ll….” "I told you not to do that again….” “Always tell the truth….” etc. Why can teens hear adult’s lies? It’s because a teen’s mind is still relatively clear, free from a lifetime of accumulated unacknowledged perpetrations, withholds and deceits. As a communication-skills coach it take me about 60-hours to clear the average adult of all their unacknowledged out-integrities (it’s a sit-down face-to-face communication process.)

The key word in the last sentence is “unacknowledged.” This is the answer to your reading comprehension inquiry. The way to create space for communication to take place is to empty your mind. Empty it of all thoughts you are withholding from others. Clean up (acknowledge) all unacknowledged lies and perpetrations. Catholics have a great tool they use. It’s called confession. Most Catholics realize that they can lie and cheat and have impure thoughts as long as they are willing to go to confession and communicate all of them to their priest. The problem with the confession process, in terms of communication mastery, is the penance tacked on at the end. Confessing involves feeling bad (guilty) and receiving a penance (punishment). There’s other stuff, like fear of going to hell, etc. that’s associated with the whole belief system. The problem with this communication model is that the majority of Catholics go out and do the same thing the next week. Feeling badly about something and receiving a judgement, even a comment from another, causes one to repeat the undesirable behavior.* However the point is that Catholics do get to feel good and have some space for at least a few hours after they have confessed. Providing they are honest with their priest and communicate all their impure thoughts, they are in a condition called in-integrity when they leave.

So, how does all this information help you? You need to find one person with whom you can tell everything to. Someone with whom you can share everything, your perpetrations, withholds and judgements, and especially the “sick” and “weird” thoughts.

It’s understood that most teens do not communicate openly and honestly and spontaneously with their parents,  they don't tell everything to both. Parents just haven’t been taught how to get another’s communication. They just don’t know how to create a safe space for you to tell the truth. They don’t know that the way in which they have been taught to communicate creates fear in their relationships. Most teens are afraid to share all thoughts, all lies, for fear of getting a lecture or a punishment (read penance.)

Here are four tips:

1) Ask a friend, "How about you and I agreeing to always tell the truth to each other and to never ever withhold any significant thoughts?" (Fleeting non-reoccurring thoughts are not withholds)

2) Start keeping a journal, also known as a diary. Write all the stuff that comes to mind each day. However, notice that if you leave it someplace where your parents can read it that it really becomes a covert way of communicating with them, a covert way of getting caught. Why? Because most parents cannot not be trusted to respect your privacy. In other words, if you have a comprehension problem they are programed to read your journal [this is because they taught you to be sneaky, to withhold thoughts].  Buy yourself a small cash box with a combination lock. You can fold a journal into it. Then when it’s full, bury it in the yard in a plastic container. I recommend keeping it because it can be of value later in life when you decide to do some counseling or therapy or when writing your bio.

3) Read about and regularly use The Clearing Process. Use it especially before taking an important exam or when you are thinking about asking someone for a date. Communicating all your fears and considerations about why you might fail precludes your fears from materializing. It’s free and it works.

4) To paraphrase L. Ron Hubbard, (Dianetics), when reading and you go past a word you don't understand, a word, the definition of which you don't know, you automatically to go unconscious—comprehension doesn't take place, most often you get sleepy.

* For every Mafia boss there's an equally powerful spouse enabling his abuses.

Thanks,

Kerry
Teen Forum Moderator

Last edited 12/28/19

D.Drike

Reading comprehension barriers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 04:43:12 AM »
I am currently on unit 5 of the Brain Fitness Program and while challenging I am hopeful. 

Another area I would like to improve is reading speed and comprehension.  Anyone had a good experience with some programs in this area.

Thanks,

Kerry

• Administrator
Re: Reading comprehension barriers?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 02:29:35 AM »
Hi D. Drike,

I haven't had any luck with such programs. What are you using to measure its success?

In my 81 years no friend/clients has ever recommended such a program to me, this suggests that none work to the degree that one would recommend it as being, "great," "terrific," "awesome," " a must," or "absolutely works." For example: 95% of our communication workshop participants typically use such expressions to communicate its value.

Kerry

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal