Author Topic: Hawaii's hoverboard riders must have insurance  (Read 1870 times)

Kerry

• Administrator
Hawaii's hoverboard riders must have insurance
« on: December 03, 2015, 03:20:43 AM »
A news report I'd like to read.

It's just a matter of time before a hoverboard rider, going 16mph, will crash into a pedestrian's ankle. The hospital and recovery costs will be significant. The accident will be all the more tragic if the victim is a child or an aging senior.  Typically, the injured person will have to sue the rider and the rider will irresponsibly balk at paying what appears to be the exorbitant medical costs—thereby adding even more to the victim's attorney's fees.

To preclude litigation costs it's just a matter of time before hoverboard riders must have a "vehicle-type" insurance to cover the worst-case medical scenario (read—a premium comparable to car insurance). If a rider isn't carrying a valid insurance card (with the board owner's name and the board's serial number) the police will confiscate the board. The board will be returned once insurance has been proven.

Insurance must be bought through the hoverboard dealer at the time of purchase. On-line distributors will not be able to sell to Hawaii residents except that they include coverage at the time of sale.

Municipalities will have to strictly enforce no hoverboard riding on the streets/sidewalks so that they are not sued. County Council Members who resist such legislation will be sued for knowing and not acting. I.e. Responsible for a senior losing the normal use of his/her foot for life. Each council member who votes "No" to the legislation should be required to visit the injured victim and utter the pathetic, "I'm so sorry; I knew it would happen and for reasons I voted no."

Similar registrations will soon be required of civilian drone owners.

The above will happen, it's just a matter of time.

Update: The "hoverboard" fad didn't take hold as expected. Battery fires, etc.

Last edited 12/4/22

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal