Author Topic: Hilo Mayor Declines Pay Raise  (Read 3206 times)

Kerry

• Administrator
Hilo Mayor Declines Pay Raise
« on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:35 AM »
Something I'd like to read in our local newspapers.

Hilo Mayor Declines Pay Raise

Recently the Mayor's appointed Salary Commission voted to increase his salary $22,000.00. Not up to $22,000 but $22K more than he presently receives. The reason given is because the mayor presently receives $109,152.00 annually, whereas the police chief receives $113.768 and the fire chief receives $114,768.

Commissioner Brian DeLima said, “I don't understand under what logic the mayor gets paid less than other county officials and the head of a department gets less than the deputies,” What Delima and the Salary Commissioners insultingly discount in their calculations is that those civil servants who receive more do so because they are professionals. They are being compensated for their careers, their years of service, the life-time costs of their educations, as opposed to the relatively part-time position of an elected mayor, a 4-8 year position, ostensibly in "service" to the community.

Says Mayor Kenoi, it just doesn't seem fair for me to accept a pay raise at this time, especially one that's more than what 25% my constituents earn each year. It's clear to me that those who earn more do so because they have earned it because of their years of service and the fact that their positions are highly skilled professions.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal